Sunday, May 27, 2012

Background Part 1

Having been together for  9 years, we've naturally talked about what we'd want from each other as partners and for our future together, which for both of us included children. We talked about time frames and how many children but never felt concerned that it might not happen, until recently.

But first, the back story :)

Before we met: I never had a "normal" period. I got my first period in 7th grade (i was 12) and like most Sex Ed classes tell you, for the first little while they may not happen every month until your system regulates. Well that was all well and good but I would go several months in between. Going to the Dr's I was told this was normal and that if things didn't regulate by the time i was 15 to come back and they'd go from there. Well 15 years old rolls around things still aren't normal so i was referred to the OB/GYN. I was put on BC to "help regulate my cycle". I have to say I HATED BC b/c it made me feel horrible and I gained weight like it was going out of style.
Yearly check up at 16 and got the news that I had some cysts on my ovaries. That's a lot for a 16 year old to digest but was told that the cysts could come and go, probably b/c of the BC and may be the cause of my irregular, almost non-existent periods. I was told it's nothing to really worry about and we would keep an eye on it to keep my weight under control and trying to loose some weight might help jump start my periods naturally.

Enter Shawn: We met in February of 03' through Jess, a mutual friend; he was a HS Senior and I was a Junior. Looking back, we were both very level headed and mature for our age. We had already talked about our goals in the next 4 years which both included us graduating HS and going to college. Before officially deciding that we wanted to be exclusive, we had to have "THE Talk". It was a very nervous conversation on my part, not b/c i didn't want to tell him I was on BC, but because I didn't want to tell him WHY I was already on BC. He listened and was supportive and it was that summer following his graduation and me getting ready to go back to HS as a Senior for us to make it official that we were an item. My Senior year flew by and his first year in college did too. We were always talking about the future and dreaming about how we wanted things to turn out. We both agreed that we wanted to graduate high school (CHECK!) and College before getting married and then starting a family after a year or so. Even though some of our friends were already getting married and/or having children, we enjoyed their happy moments and I dreamed of ours :)

I finished college in 07' with an Associates degree and he was following shortly in 09' b/c he was getting a Bachelor's degree w/ a minor. So when I graduated College and knew he would be soon, I started really getting into the idea of getting engaged, having a decent engagement and getting married. In the back of my mind I always had a life plan schedule of getting married by 23 and start a family by 25. I was 21 when I graduated college so that was putting me somewhere on track for my imaginary life plan. We talked more about getting married and he surprised me in February of 09' by asking me to marry him. Of course I said YES!

Part 2 coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment